Interior Renovation Checklistback to article list
Firstly, ask yourself the following:
✔Have you determined your budget?
✔Have you thought about your top priorities?
✔Have you checked your calendar for the most convenient time of year to renovate?
✔Have you considered how the renovation will affect the way you live and how you’ll work around it?
✔ Have you checked how removing walls will affect the weight-bearing of the home?
✔ Have you established the thematic look and style of your interiors?
Now, consider if each item is must-have, nice-to-have, or not important…
Should I renovate, add or extend?
- Living area
- Study/office area
- Kids playroom
- Media room/home theatre
- Garage, basement or attic conversion
- Home gym
- Spa room
What is my renovation purpose?
- Future-proofing (retirement)
- Luxury renovation
- Increasing space/storage
- Creating indoor/outdoor flow
- Pet-friendly renovation
Design, Style + Layout
- Windows – particular style, shape or size
- Window dressings - roller blinds, Venetian blinds, shutters etc.
- Natural light – large windows, skylights etc.
- Open plan design
- Staircases and railings
- Doors – sliding, bifold, french doors etc.
- Models/furniture - repurposed, modern, luxury etc.
Storage + Cabinetry
- Shelving storage & storage cupboards
- Built-in storage
- Wall hooks
- Window seat with built-in storage
- Under-stair storage
- Increasing attic/basement/garage storage
Appliances + Electricals
- Wiring for TV, music or Internet
- Automated smart home systems
- Smart security systems
- Wall-mounted TV screens
- Lighting – feature or task lighting, dimmers etc.
- Ventilation – ducted system or other
- Heating & cooling – HVACs, fans, radiators, fireplaces etc.
- Underfloor heating
- Insulation – underfloor, walls and/or ceiling
- Flooring – wood, tiles, carpet, concrete etc.
- Walls - wood, tiles, stone, cork etc.
- Paint - colour, brand, feature walls
- Carpentry work
- Benchtops - laminate, stone, Corian, wood etc.
- Splashbacks - glass, stone, tiles etc.
Where to from here?
Get in touch to discuss your renovation!